It might only be the beginning of March but it feels as though spring is springing (don’t want to tempt fate by saying “It’s sprung”!). The sight of cherry blossoms on the trees, optimistic but cold people in blazers and that odd ray of sunshine... bliss!
So why not get fully into the spirit, crack out the clotted cream and treat yourself to an easy-peasy spring scone?
* 225gself raising flour
* pinch of salt
* 55g butter
* 25g caster sugar
* 150mloz milk
* 1 free-range egg, beaten
* Heat the oven to 220C
* Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter to form tiny crumbs
* Stir in the sugar and milk to get a soft dough.
* Tip onto a well floured work top and knead lightly till it forms a ball.
* Pat out (don’t use a rolling pin as you’ll squeeze too much air out) till it’s 2cm thick.
* Use a 5cm scone cutter and place the rounds on a lightly greased baking sheet.
* Knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones till it’s all used up.
* Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg.
* Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
Serve with cream, jam and cup of tea for maximum sunshine enjoyment!